Organizing Your People Database
In this lesson, we will walk through common tasks to manage people and maintain a clean database. For best results, log in to your account in a separate window and follow along. Don’t have an account yet? Start a free trial.
Topics we will cover include:
- Import your contacts from another system or software. Go to Import Contacts in Aplos. View the resource for importing contacts.
- Manually create contacts in your database. Go to your contact list in Aplos. View the resource for creating contacts.
- Clean up your database by finding duplicate contacts and merging them. Go to your duplicate contacts in Aplos. View the resource for merging contacts.
- Create custom fields to track whatever information your organization needs for your contacts. Go to your custom fields in Aplos. View the resource for how to use custom fields.
- Keep your contacts’ addresses up to date by verifying them with the USPS. Go to your subscription in Aplos to add this feature. View the resource for address verification.
- Keep in touch with your people using The Feed, which shows reminders, birthdays, anniversaries, recurring donation changes, donation failures, first-time donors, and other important dates. Go to The Feed in Aplos. View the resource for communicating using The Feed.
- Use lists to group your contacts together in various ways. You can then send emails, generate letters, print mailing labels, or filter reports based on those groups of people. Go to your lists in Aplos. View the resource on creating lists.
- Tailor your messaging to specific contacts by using List Designer to create Smart Lists with customized, segmented groups of people based on the criteria you choose. Go to your List Designer in Aplos. View the resource for how to use List Designer.
Households, Check-In, And Groups
- Assign people to a household so you can generate household giving statements, view all transactions or contributions for a household, and more. Go to your households in Aplos. View the resource for creating households.
- Check people in to events or kids in and out of classrooms with the check-in feature. Go to check-in in Aplos. View the resource for using check-in for events.
- Create and manage groups of people within Aplos. Communicate with members, set tasks, plan meetings and events, invite people to volunteer, share documents, and more. Go to your Groups & Teams in Aplos. View the resource for getting started with Groups & Teams.
- Generate reports to better understand your people, and share those reports with your board, management team, or accountant. Go to your reports in Aplos. View the resource for generating reports.
- Generate contribution statements to email or print and send. Go to your Donations by Contact or Donations by Household report in Aplos to get started. View the resource for generating contribution statements.